R-5010 Reference #997
Posting Date: June 5, 2019
AIDB is sensitive to the needs of individuals who are Blind or Visually Impaired and/or Deaf or Hard of Hearing and for qualified applicants and employees will make reasonable accommodations.
POSITION: School Psychologist or Psychometrist/Counselor
Health and Clinical Services, Psychology Department
To Serve Primarily at the Alabama School for the Deaf
WORK SCHEDULE: 197 days each academic school year
School Psychology Certification:
- A valid Class A or Class AA Professional Educator Certificate in School Psychometry or School Psychology
- A valid Class AA Professional Educator Certification in School Psychometry or School Psychology and hold a Doctoral Degree
- A valid Nationally Certified School Psychologist Certificate and may be eligible for Professional Educator Certification in School Psychology by completing the application process and meeting all requirements assigned by the Alabama State Department of Education within the first three years of employment.
School Psychometry Certification and School Counselor Certification:
- A Class A or Class AA Professional Educator Certificate in School Psychometry and School Counseling
- A Class A Professional Educator Certificate or Professional Leadership Certification and may be eligible for a Provisional Certificate in School Counseling by completing the application process and meeting all requirements assigned by the Alabama State Department of Education within the first three years of employment.
- Master’s Degree or higher degree in an area of counseling other than school counseling from a senior institution that was regionally accredited at the time the degree was earned and holds a valid license issued by a state board of examiners in counseling and may be eligible for a Provisional Certificate in School Counseling by completing the application process and meeting all requirements assigned by the Alabama State Department of Education within the first three years of employment.
- A Class A Professional Educator Certificate in School Psychometry and may be eligible for a Provisional Certificate in School Counseling by completing the application process and meeting all requirements assigned by the Alabama State Department of Education within the first three years of employment.
- Successful work experience in the field of Psychology, or Psychometry and Counseling.
- Knowledge of and experience with students who are deaf or hard of hearing is desired.
- An ability to work with both sensory impaired and non-sensory impaired (i.e. staff/parents).
- An ability to relate to parents/staff on a consultation basis and/or in facilitating staff meetings.
- An ability to adapt counseling methods for use with students with a sensory impairment.
- An ability to incorporate counseling skills/methods in a practical manner with students/clients.
- An ability to address cultural issues within the counseling context.
- Must possess a minimum sign language proficiency level of SURVIVAL upon employment. INTERMEDIATE must be obtained within 18 months of employment and ADVANCED according to the AIDB evaluation system must be obtained within the first 30 months of employment. (All applicants must provide documentation of sign language proficiency or take a sign language proficiency evaluation available through AIDB.)
- Upholds the professionalism and ethical standards of psychologists/counselors.
- Acts as an advocate for students/clients.
- Acts as coordinator in sharing and interpreting information about student’s/client’s needs and concerns as related to psychological issues.
- Engages in professional growth and development activities.
- Responds to crises in accordance with AIDB guidelines.
- Demonstrates a well-developed ability to express in written form.
- Demonstrates an ability to organize and complete tasks on a timely basis.
- Willing to work a flexible schedule (example: two days work hours (11:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.)
- Performs other duties, including cross campus duties, as assigned by the employer, i.e., Senior Counselor, and/or the Executive Director of Health and Clinical Services.
- Upon offer of employment, the ABI/FBI record check must be completed based on the Alabama Child Protection Act of 1999 pursuant to Act 2002-457. A non-refundable fee of $48.15 is required at the scheduled appointment. Suitable criteria must be confirmed by the Alabama State Department of Education prior to beginning work.
- Selects, administers, scores and interprets individual psychological assessments for the low-incidence populations of the Alabama Institute for the Deaf and Blind (AIDB).
- Provides reports/findings within a designated time frame.
- Provides evaluation services through Health and Clinical Services, as directed.
- Provides mental health counseling for selected and/or referred students/clients and such follow-up services as are necessary with staff, parents and students/clients.
- Provides support for students through group, play, peer counseling, or staff/faculty intervention where appropriate.
- Provides appropriate referral resource suggestions, as warranted.
B. Psychiatric Clinics
- Acts as liaison for staff, students/clients and parents/guardians for clinic purposes.
- Acquires appropriate documentation on students/clients for psychiatric clinics.
- Provides appropriate follow-up to psychiatric clinic recommendations.
C. Human Rights Committe
- Acquires appropriate documentation on students/clients for the Human Rights Committee meetings.
- Provides appropriate follow up the Human Rights Committee’s recommendations
- Plans and/or participates in appropriate staffings.
- Provides consultation for referrals through Health and Clinical Services, AIDB, and/or an Institute program, as needed.
- Assists with development and implementation of appropriate inservice training and staff development, as requested by the Senior Counselor and/or the Executive Director of Health and Clinical Services.
IV. Research and Evaluation
- Develops, directs, and/or participates in appropriate research projects as requested.
- Develops and/or participates in program evaluation where relevant.
- Provides appropriate documentation of services provided.
SALARY: D2 56 – $43,143 – $57,555 MA Degree, Provisional Certification
E2 59 – $44,622 – $62,227 Class A Professional Educator Certification
E2 61 – $48,575 – $67,686 Class AA Professional Educator Certification
E2 62 – $50,045 – $69,710 Class AA Professional Educator Certification
with Doctoral Degree
Annual salary is based on days worked each academic school year.
Direct Deposit is required.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: June 19, 2019
This is an exempt position and is not subject to overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Click Here if you would like more instructions on how to apply for this job.